Welcome to Japan's largest interconnected resort area. EA Ski & Snowboard partner with Shiga International Ski School, in Shiga Kogen where there are 19 ski resorts, all interconnected on one ski pass. Shiga Kogen is no laughing matter! Yet, go here and you'll find yourself grinning from top to bottom!
|Shiga Kogen||Ski||Internship Ultimate||Apr 2019||USD $8975||Enquire|
EA Ski & Snowboard partner with Shiga International Ski School to run an exciting and excellent ski and snowboard internship course at Shiga Kogen, Japan's largest ski area. Shiga Kogen itself is made up of 19 interconnected ski resorts and Shiga International Ski School is an English speaking, international ski school based out of Okushiga Kogen Ski Resort, located at the north end of Shiga Kogen. Okushiga itself is one of the highest resorts in the area, and due to that, it sees around 12 metres of snow annually.
There is also a terrain park, very few lift lines and crowds and some of the best off-piste skiing you can find in Japan. Back in 1998, when Japan held the Nagano Olympics, Shiga Kogen was home to the giant slalom and slalom course and this remains there to this day. Because of its size, there are many trails to explore on Shiga Kogen. The only challenge is whether you can fit every single one in within one season...
Let us help you kick your instructor career off right at this great Japanese resort!
BENEFITS OF BECOMING AN INSTRUCTOR AT SHIGA KOGEN:
- Train with top local based trainers
- Local advice, assistance and support on the ground to get you sorted
- Get easy access to working holiday visa’s – For UK, Australian and New Zealand citizens
- Get a guaranteed job offer through EA, so you know you are set up with employment before leaving home
- Ski at the 19 combined resorts that make up the wider Shiga Kogen area
- Get a great taste of Japanese culture in an English speaking environment! The ski school you will work for is an international one meaning you will teach in the English Language and won't be struggling to communicate with your fellow instructors.
- Get an internationally recognised qualification in English with the NZSIA (World leading certification)
- Surround yourself with passionate skiers and snowboarders with a mix of cultures from around the world.
- Great food, plenty of onsens and some of the best snow Japan has to offer!
LIVING & WORKING AT SHIGA KOGEN
On an instructor internship here, program participants train with world-class trainers in and around the Shiga Kogen wider ski area to prepare for the level 1 NZSIA (New Zealand Ski Instructors Association) exam. Accommodation and lift pass, as well as orientation activities, are provided during this time.
After the level 1 exam, you will be working for the Shiga International Ski School who will ensure you receive the necessary staff training and induction processes. This will help establish everyone within the company before the work begins.
Shiga International Ski School is the only operating international, English speaking ski school in Shiga Kogen. The team there at Okushiga are from all around the world and operate closely with each other, with the goal of making sure guests enjoy their time out on the mountain as much as possible (while learning a few skiing tips and tricks along the way). As an employee at Shiga International, you will receive locals discounts on shop items there in Okushiga and free lunch every work day. The level one teaching wage is 2000 yen per hour (subject to increase with further qualifications).
There is the 1,000-year-old hot springs town of Shibu Onsen located next to the Snow Monkey Park and the city of Nagano is not too far away with the very historical Zenkoji Temple. There are great festivals to see nearby as well as many other ski areas to explore.
WHAT ABOUT ACCOMMODATION?
Accommodation during the training portion of this course will be covered for you. You will be housed in staff accommodation so even while you're training, you'll soon get to know not only your fellow EA interns, but also your fellow instructors that will work with you this season.
Once you begin work, your accommodation cost will be automatically taken out of your wage. The cost of this is about 9000 yen per month (Approx. $79 USD).
STAFF ACCOMMODATION DETAILS:
- Double occupancy rooms (Couples rooms available on request)
- Limited single rooms also available
- Fully equipped kitchen and dining room*
- Laundry facilities
- Wax room
- Common area/lounge with views of the ski area
- Sheets and blankets provided
*You can also purchase a bento box (Lunch/Dinner box) for dinner if you don't feel like cooking at (300 yen – US $2.60) per meal from the ski school.
Disclaimer: The above information should be used as a guide and is subject to change.